THE ABBEY SCHOOL ADMISSIONS 2022
Welcome to our Open Events Page for Year 6 pupils and parents.
This year's Open Evening will take place on Wednesday 29th September 2021 from 5pm, followed by a series of Open Day tours during weeks commencing 4th October and 11th October.
There are opportunities to book tours of the school during the school day which will last up to one hour and can be booked via the following Eventbrite link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/abbey-school-open-days-tickets-171230203147
The Abbey School offers a first class school experience. We have a very traditional, educational ethos focussing on hard work, personal responsibility and high levels of discipline. This is complemented by high levels of care, pastoral support and an excellent educational support team.
Of course, many schools profess to have excellent academic credentials and superb pastoral support. What makes us different is our extreme daily focus on detail and small things around our school to ensure an exceptional learning environment. Some unique aspects include:
- We check uniform and equipment daily so that we are ready to learn.
- We insist on exemplary behaviour from our students at all times and have expectations for politeness and respect that surpass many schools.
- Our teaching in academic subjects is knowledge-rich and students are expected to revise daily to ensure that they are learning at the high level of pace, stretch and challenge that we encourage in our classes.
- There is a focus on direct instruction and the class moving forward together as one in so far as is achievable. We aim for our students to support the progress of their peers.
- Our students have a sit-down lunch in their year groups every day and are encouraged to eat healthy school cuisine.
- We emphasise the importance of positive, respectful relationships around our school. We aim for our classrooms to be joyous, happy places where everyone is keen to contribute and are equally valued.
In summer 2020 our average pass rate over all subjects at 4+ for GCSE was up over 20% - more than twice the rate of increase reported nationally. Similarly our A*-C pass rate in academic subjects has more than doubled.
We do not set out to be similar to other schools, or to market our school as being able to offer every imaginable opportunity to everyone. Instead, we set out to offer an authentic and distinctive educational offer that has a life-changing impact on outcomes for our learners. We have unapologetically high standards for our whole school community and aim to provide a broad and balanced curriculum that is carefully planned with lots of joy, happiness and challenge beyond the normal timetable.
If you feel that you support our community’s unique ethos, values and aspirations we would be keen to talk to you.
Dr Rowland Speller