To view our available vacancies click HERE.
To celebrate the last day of the Rio de Janeiro Carnival in Brazil and as part of their Religion and Citizen RE course, the year 8 students took part in a Samba drumming school experience. The lessons were led by Samba Pelo Mar, a local Whitstable Samba band. This provided an interactive sound experience of the Rio Carnival; they found this fun, interesting, energetic and loud!
Five Facts about the Rio Carnival:
1. Along with all the other carnivals of Brazil, the Rio de Janeiro carnival marks the beginning of Lent.
2. The first festival dates back as far as 1723.
3. There are more than 2 million people on the streets every day during the carnival.
4. More than 200 different samba schools from Rio participate.
5. The main carnival parades takes place in the Sambadrome and is said to be the 'world’s largest party.'
This year the Abbey School Ski Trip went to Masella, located in the Spanish Pyrenees. Five full days of skiing was enjoyed by the travelling party and the weather was kind to us all week.
Our hotel was a stones throw away from the slopes and was a more than comfortable base for the week. The Abbey School students displayed impeccable behaviour and were a credit to our school.
Severe Weather - Should the weather deteriorate and the school is forced to close, a message will be displayed on our homepage.
Severe weather planning details here.
For updates on the school re-cladding project click here.
Temperature: 5°C (41°F), Wind Direction: North Easterly, Wind Speed: 5mph, Humidity: 98%, Pressure: 1031mb, Rising, Visibility: Very Poor